The Subcommittee will be visiting places of deprivation of liberty and will hold discussions on Sri Lanka establishing an independent National Preventive Mechanism.The Optional Protocol, which Sri Lanka ratified in 2017, requires such a mechanism to be established with the authority and capacity to undertake preventive visits to any place where persons may be deprived of their liberty.“During our visit we will be exploring the steps Sri Lanka needs to take to effectively prevent torture and ill-treatment of people deprived of their liberty,” said Victor Zaharia. “We will also advise the authorities on the full implementation of their treaty obligations, including how they can best establish a national independent body to visit places of detention.” The delegation includes Victor Zaharia, Head of Delegation (Republic of Moldova), Satyabhooshun Gupt Domah (Mauritius), Petros Michaelides (Cyprus), and June Lopez (Philippines). (Colombo Gazette) The delegation comprised of Victor Zaharia, (Head of Delegation), Staybhooshun Gupt Domah, Petros Michaelides, and Ms. June Lopez. The SPT Delegation met with Dr. Deepika Udagama, Chairperson of the Commission and Commissioners Ms. Ramani Muttetuwegama and Ms. Ambika Satkunanathan and discussed issues of mutual concern and interest. The United Nations Subcommittee on Prevention of Torture is on its first visit to Sri Lanka to examine the treatment of people deprived of their liberty and the safeguards in place for their protection against torture and ill-treatment.Their talks in Colombo will focus on advising and assisting the Sri Lankan authorities regarding the measures they must take to be in compliance with the obligations contained in the Optional Protocol to the UN Convention against Torture. A UN committee on torture prevention has met with the Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka (HRCSL), the Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka said today.The delegation of the UN Subcommittee on the Prevention of Torture (SPT), currently in Sri Lanka, visited the Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka.
The Duke of Sussex will officially open a memorial to 31 British victims of two terrorist attacks in Tunisia, Kensington Palace has announced.The memorial commemorates the 30 British victims of the Sousse attack at a popular coastal holiday resort in 2015, as well as a UK national who died in an attack at the Bardo Museum in Tunis earlier the same year.The commemorative sculpture, called Infinite Wave, will overlook a lake in Birmingham’s Cannon Hill Park and comprise 31 individual streams, with each representing the loss of a British life.A number of the victims had links to the Midlands, including 70-year-old former Birmingham City footballer Denis Thwaites and his wife Elaine, 69.The duke will attend a ceremony to officially open the memorial on March 4 and attend a reception where he will meet some of the families of those affected.In 2016 Harry gave a reading at a service for the victims at Westminster Abbey in London.The sculpture, which was designed by London and Gloucester-based George King Architects, was chosen ahead of 19 other entries by an independent panel, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said.Relatives of the victims were consulted on its design and location. Suzy Richards, who lost three members of her family in the attack, has previously described the memorial as representing “our never-ending love and beautiful memories we treasure”.As part of his visit to Birmingham, the duke will also visit The Scar Free Foundation Centre for Conflict Wound Research at Queen Elizabeth Hospital.The centre aims to minimise the psychological and physical impact of scarring among armed forces personnel and civilians wounded in terrorist attacks.The Royal Foundation gave funding to the CASEVAC Club, which helped to set up the centre and aims to provide wounded personnel with a close-knit, supportive community and assist in the advancement of treatments.