Armed intruders threaten journalist in Nord-Kivu home

first_img Congolese reporter wounded by gunshot while covering protest in Goma Reporter jailed in DRC for allegedly defaming parliamentarian Receive email alerts Reporters Without Borders wrote yesterday to the governor of the eastern province of Nord-Kivu, Julien Paluku Kahongya, voicing deep concern about an armed attack on Radiotélévision Nationale Congolaise journalist Tuver Wundi Muhindo on 12 April in Goma, the provincial capital.“We urge you to ensure that Wundi and his family are protected and that this attack is properly investigated so that both the perpetrators and instigators are indentified,” Reporters Without Borders said in its letter. “By demonstrating that press freedom is one of your priorities, you will discourage others who might be tempted to act in a similar fashion and you will show that no crime goes unpunished in your province.”The attack was carried out by four Swahili-speaking gunmen, who burst into Wundi’s home at around 8 p.m., tied up his family and then went to the room where Wundi was and held him at gunpoint, threatening to rape his wife in front of him and threatening to kill him because he had become “Goma’s richest journalist.”They finally left after about 30 minutes, taking money, objects of value and some of his journalistic equipment, said Wundi, who is also the correspondent of Journalist in Danger (JED), the Reporters Without Borders partner organisation in the DRC.The still-traumatised Wundi told JED and Reporters Without Borders: “It was a miracle I survived.” He reported the intrusion to Goma’s judicial and military authorities the next morning. The police arrested two suspects but it is not yet known if they participated in the attack. Democratic Republic of CongoAfrica News Follow the news on Democratic Republic of Congo Organisation News to go further Newscenter_img February 16, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information February 24, 2021 Find out more April 15, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Armed intruders threaten journalist in Nord-Kivu home News Democratic Republic of CongoAfrica February 18, 2021 Find out more Journalist arrested on provincial governor’s orders RSF_en last_img read more

Third man released from garda detention

first_imgAdvertisement NewsLocal NewsThird man released from garda detentionBy admin – March 2, 2010 525 A 51-year-old man that was being detained by gardai for questioning in connection with the murder of Daniel Treacy, has been released on Tuesday afternoon. Gardai arrested the man on the northside of the city last Thursday and was detained at Roxboro Road garda station. The man was released without charge, but a file is being prepared for the DPP. Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Daniel Treacy was shot dead at the Topaz filling station on the Ennis Road on the morning February 22 last. One man, 29-year-old, unemployed, John Coughlan from Pineview Gardens, Moyross was charged on Monday night with the murder. Previous articleSpecial needs care workshops delivered by US expertsNext articleGive us a boat, plead firefighters admin Twitter WhatsAppcenter_img Linkedin Facebook Print Emaillast_img read more

M&S in £400m property sell-off drama

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

COVID-19: Police disperse thousands of gatherings nationwide since last week

first_imgPolice in Bolang Mongondow regency in North Sulawesi also forced couples to hold off their wedding receptions.Supandri Damogalad of the Bolaang Mongondow Legislative Council said that at least five couples — including his relatives — in the regency’s Lolak village had cancelled their weddings in the past week, even though they had invited guests and set up tents for the events.”Of course we are disappointed but on the other hand we can understand the urgency,” Supandri said on Friday, “It’s better for us to make this sacrifice rather than to sacrifice public interest.”Adj. Comr. Hanny Lukas of the East Dumoga Police said he had also approached a couple and their families in the regency’s Mogoyungung village to cancel their planned wedding this week, as the public should understand the urgency of maintaining physical distancing to stem COVID-10 transmission.”I call for the public not to organize any more large gatherings because [the police] will ensure the gatherings are dispersed,” Hanny said.Furthermore, Argo went on to say that ensuring public health was the top priority for the police at the moment, including by taking actions against the spread of false information about COVID-19 that could risk the safety of the public.By Thursday, the police had identified 46 individuals who had allegedly disseminated false information about the disease. However, Argo did not confirm whether all of them had been named suspects.Wrongdoers could face a maximum penalty of six years’ imprisonment and fines of up to Rp 1 billion as stipulated in Article 28 of the 2016 Information and Electronic Transaction Law if convicted.“We hope that the public can filter any information before sharing it,” he added. (glh)Topics : Police have dispersed up to 1,371 gatherings nationwide within a week since National Police chief Gen. Idham Azis issued an edict banning the public from collecting into crowds to curb the spread of COVID-19.“This number is an accumulation of all reports coming from our regional units. We have been helped by regional administrations and the Indonesian Military when disbursing those gatherings,” National Police spokesperson Sr. Comr. Argo Yuwono said in a press conference on Thursday.In the edict, dated March 19, Idham urged the public to refrain from organizing mass gatherings in public places or private properties, including social meetings, workshops, music festivals, carnivals, sports events, fairs, mass protests and family receptions. The police also plan to press charges against those who persist in gathering in large numbers despite the warnings. The violators would face up to 16 months’ imprisonment or fines of up to Rp 900,000 (US$56.25) as stipulated in articles 212, 216 and 218 of the Criminal Code.However, Argo said the police had so far not filed charges against those who had been involved in mass gatherings, adding that they had been very cooperative when warned by officers.“It is because we took a persuasive approach first when asking them to stop the gatherings. We also warned them that the spread of COVID-19 would spread rampantly if they continue their activities,” he added.Ever since the edict came into force, police officers have started dispersing gatherings and crowds during their patrols in various places across the country.Read also: COVID-19: Local authorities scramble to prevent wider transmission as ‘mudik’ starts earlyIn East Java’s Blitar city, for instance, authorities dispersed crowds of people hanging out in cafes and told them to go home, while calling for the public to take their food and drinks back to their homes instead of eating outside.last_img read more