A member of the Civil Law Court trial jury was last Tuesday night arrested by officers of the Liberia National Police (LNP), after she was allegedly spotted leaving the office of Cllr. Cooper Kruah, who is a lawyer for Embassy Suites Hotel. This hotel is seeking a US$3 million damages lawsuit against Ecobank-Liberia.The arrest of Juror Elizabeth Belleh, prompted Judge Johannes Z. Zlahn yesterday to disband the entire jury and suspend further hearing of the case, surprisingly without conducting any investigation into the allegation, as it had been done in previous jury tampering cases.Instead, the Civil Law Court Judge noted that his action was to avoid any doubt over whatever the outcome of the case could be.Juror Belleh was escorted from Cllr. Kruah’s office located on Benson Street, in Monrovia before she was subsequently arrested by the police, Ecobank’s lawyers told the court.They made the allegation when they filed their formal complaints before Judge Zlahn yesterday, informing him about the arrest and subsequent investigation of juror Belleh.In their complaint, the lawyers contended that they had been keeping surveillance on Juror Belleh even before she was removed from the case by Judge Zlahn.It was based on their intelligence, the Ecobank’s legal team claimed, that they and the police succeeded in arresting Juror Belleh.In counter argument, Cllr. Kruah denied the allegation, arguing that Juror Belleh was not arrested in his office; instead she was apprehended while she was walking around his office.“I was not in my office either when they claimed that they arrested Juror Belleh, she was only arrested while she walking around my office and not when she was leaving from there,” Cllr. Kruah further alleged.Besides, Cllr. Kruah argued that Belleh was no more a juror hearing the case and as such she should not be held responsible for anything relating to the case.His argument was ignored and Judge Zlahn went ahead and disbanded the trial jury.Initially, Belleh was dropped from the case, after she was accused by Ecobank’s lawyers of conversing with one of Cllr. Kruah’s witnesses, Aaron B. Solomon. But Judge Zlahn chose to keep her as one of the jurors of the Civil Law Court.In his decision, Judge Zlahn said, “In order to avoid appearing inappropriately, which may cast the cloud of doubt over what the outcome of the case may be, juror Elizabeth Belleh should be and is hereby removed from serving as jury on this particular case.”“Accordingly,” Judge Zlahn added, “she is hereby removed from the jury but may serve on another jury during this term of court, if she is selected.”A legal expert, who asked not to be named, told the Daily Observer that the law requires all jury proceedings be kept secret. Secrecy allows witnesses and the jurors to speak freely and honestly as they discuss evidence and make decisions. “Each juror takes an oath that he or she will not disclose any proceedings among themselves or with any of the parties,” the legal expert noted. “The key responsibility of the jury,” according to the expert, “is to decide whether a party has enough evidence against a suspect to hold them liable for a commission of a crime.”Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The Liza Phase One development continues to progress rapidly, with the commencement of development drilling offshore Guyana, ExxonMobil said on Tuesday.The Noble Bob Douglas drillshipDevelopment drilling began in May for the first of 17 wells planned for Phase 1, laying the foundation for production startup in 2020. The company and its co-venturers have so far discovered estimated recoverable resources of more than 3.2 billion oil-equivalent barrels on the Stabroek Block.“The work our teams have done in Guyana is remarkable,” said Liam Mallon, President of ExxonMobil Development Company. “We are well on our way to producing oil less than five years after our first discovery, which is well ahead of the industry average for similar projects. The Liza development and future projects will provide significant economic benefits to Guyana,” ExxonMobil said in a release.Liza Phase One is expected to generate over US$7 billion in royalty and profit oil revenues for Guyana over the life of the project. Additional benefits will accrue from other development projects now being planned. Liza Phase One involves the conversion of an oil tanker into a Floating Production, Storage and Offloading (FPSO) vessel named <<
Two local RCMP officers are hoping to raise more than 10,000 dollars for the Canadian Cancer Society with this year’s annual “Jail and Bail” on September 3rd.The fundraiser allows members of the community to nominate one another to be arrested for “offences” ranging from posing as a senior to using sarcasm as a weapon. Offenders will be “jailed” in a pen in the Totem Mall and asked to pay a set donation in lieu of “bail.”Last year’s Fort St. John “Jail and Bail” raised nearly 30,000 dollars for the Canadian Cancer Society. Fort St. John RCMP Constable Jeff Jackson is participating in the fundraiser for the second year. He spoke with Andrew Tylosky on Moose FM’s Issues and Answers on August 25th. [asset|aid=194|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=RCMPBailnJail_1_Pub.mp3] The fundraiser is being held in conjunction with the Cops for Cancer Tour De North, an annual event that sees RCMP officers cycle from Prince George to Prince Rupert.Proceeds from the tour support pediatric cancer research and programs that benefit kids with cancer and their families. For those looking to have a friend or coworker apprehended, arrest forms are available at local businesses and the Fort St. John RCMP detachment. – Advertisement –
Newcastle United are close to signing Spanish winger David Concha on a five-year deal.The plan is to loan the teenage wing wizard straight back to Racing Santander for the remainder of the season, according to AS in Spain.Newcastle have been tracking Concha for months and it is reported the players’ parents visited St James’s Park at the end of last year and were guests at the home defeat by Sunderland.The 18-year-old does not have an agent, but Racing are aware of the negotiations and are waiting for an official offer for the player. 1
The Reds have also offloaded 16 players, but Klopp confirmed that there may be more departures and/or additional arrivals.“We will see what happens,” Klopp said on the subject of potential last-minute transfers after beating Napoli 5-0 in Dublin, according to Sky Sports.“Yes,” he replied when asked whether or not he expected more business in or out of his club.“I cannot kill your D-day [Sky Sports Deadline Day] show, people sit there in front of the television all day waiting,” he added.“If any player from my team is available, then in every other situation in my life as a manager I would have bought all of them, to be honest.“They are all fantastic boys, they are able to play fantastic football.”The Reds will kick off their Premier League season against West Ham United on 12 August.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Liverpool have already added Naby Keita, Fabinho, Isaac Christie-Davies, Alisson Becker and Xherdan Shaqiri to their ranks during this off-season.LONDON, United Kingdom, Aug 5 – With the 9 August deadline for the transfer window fast apporaching, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has hinted that the Reds have not yet finalised their business.Liverpool have already added Naby Keita, Fabinho, Isaac Christie-Davies, Alisson Becker and Xherdan Shaqiri to their ranks during this off-season.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.By a 75-19 vote, the Senate gave bipartisan approval to a huge health and education spending bill that will likely be the first of the fiscal 2008 spending bills Democrats will ship to the White House to start a veto battle involving the budget for almost every domestic agency. It promises to be a protracted battle, and Bush has a decided advantage, but Democrats have seized on the massive health and education measure as the best way to challenge Bush and his GOP allies in Congress. The measure totals more than $600billion and reverses a raft of cuts sought by Bush to health research, special education and funding for grants to community groups that help the poor, among others. The confrontation with Bush over domestic programs – many of which are also popular with Republicans, as demonstrated by the margin of passage – will come on the heels of the bruising veto battle over a children’s health insurance bill. Programs funded by the health and education bill affect schoolchildren, workers, the poor and disabled, the unemployed, and those with special needs or drug and alcohol problems, among others. “In passing this bill, Democrats in Congress will say that the president doesn’t care about children or education or health research,” said White House press secretary Dana Perino. “We’ve all heard these tired old lines before. The facts demonstrate the president’s strong and consistent commitment to children, education and health research – and the American people are smart enough to know that there is no such thing as a free lunch.” SPENDING: Senate reverses the president’s decisions on funding health and education grants. By Andrew Taylor THE ASSOCIATED PRESS WASHINGTON – Senate Democrats on Tuesday reversed President Bush’s cuts to education, health research and grants to local communities as they prepare for Bush’s first-ever veto of a regular appropriations bill. The Senate measure, which exceeds Bush’s budget by more than $10 billion, must be reconciled with a companion House measure passed in July before the legislation can be sent to Bush. Battles over anti-crime funds, transportation and housing, and perhaps the homeland security budget, will follow. “We are arguing about whether or not to invest further moneys in education, health care, (anti-crime grants), border security, port security, environmental protection,” said House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md. “The President has asked for $196.4 billion of supplemental funding this year for Iraq and Afghanistan … while he argues as to whether or not we ought to increase … cancer research, diabetes research, heart/lung research for our citizens.” Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., countered, “The spending hike they are asking for in this one bill, if allowed to continue at the same rate, will cost the American taxpayer $120 billion over the next 10 years.” Bush is intent on issuing vetoes and has so far rebuffed Democratic pleas for negotiations. But Democrats and some Republicans hope that once he gets a few vetoes out of his system, the White House will signal a willingness to compromise. Much of the additional money goes to restore White House cuts. Many of those cuts were rejected by Republicans when they controlled Congress. Some lawmakers predict the president will be unyielding and the battle could drag into next year. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
THIS was the scene in the centre of Moville today after a runaway bus ploughed into cars on the main street.Incredibly no-one was injured in the incident which happened at around 8.30am.“It could have been so much worse,” said one eye-witness. Gardai have sealed off the area and were diverting traffic while an investigation takes place.“No-one has been hurt in the incident and Gardai are now at the scene,” said a Garda spokesman.Six cars and the bus have been damaged in the incident.Bus company owner Joe McGonagle said the bus – which was due to drive to Derry – was evacuated after the handbrake caused problems. After the driver got the passengers off, he thought he had secured it and went to see of he could get some help.But while he was gone the bus took off, smashing into the cars.IN PICTURES: MIRACLE ESCAPE AS RUNAWAY BUS WRECKS CARS IN MOVILLE was last modified: October 20th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:IN PICTURES: MIRACLE ESCAPE AS RUNAWAY WRECKS CARS IN MOVILLE
Tyrone GAA boss Mickey Harte has started the mind-games ahead of next season’s blockbuster Ulster Championship game with Donegal by claiming Ballybofey is not big enough for the clash.Donegal County Board have plans to increase the capacity at MacCumhaill Park to 18,000 in an attempt to get the go-ahead to stage the game.But the Tyrone manager claims the ground will not be able to cater for the huge crowd the mouth-watering is expected to attract through the turnstiles. “I think a lot more people would want to see the game live than would be able to be accommodated in Ballybofey or indeed in Healy Park,” said Harte.“So I think it really does need a ground with a bigger capacity to offer that opportunity to as many people as possible to go and see the game. I certainly think it’s a game that will attract a lot of interest.”Provincial chiefs could decide to switch the game to Clones, which has a capacity in excess of 30,000, despite the fact that the draw handed home advantage to Donegal.Donegal County Board chairman PJ McGowan has already stated that JIm McGuinness’ side will not play the game in Clones. Harte believes financial considerations will have a decisive influence in the Ulster Council’s final call on the matter.“Yes, it’s a home draw for Donegal, but they have to weigh up the fact of how many people want to see this game and how many would be likely to be in attendance.“So it could be an economic issue that would determine it at the end of it all.”HARTE THROWS DOWN GAUNTLET BY CLAIMING BALLYBOFEY IS NOT BIG ENOUGH FOR ULSTER CLASH was last modified: November 21st, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Jim McGuinnessMACCUMHAILL PARKmickey harteUlster Championship
A weather alert has been issued for Donegal this weekend as the remnants of the sub-tropical storm Ernesto hits the country. Heavy rain and strong winds will lash the north west when the weather system hits on Saturday evening into Sunday morning. Combined with the wet conditions, the night will hot and humid with temperature lows of 14 to 17 degrees Celsius.Met Eireann warns of high intensity rainfall over a relatively short period of time for many areas on Saturday night associated with the remnants of Tropical Storm Ernesto. Rainfall totals up to 20mm could occur quite widely with higher falls locally.A Status Yellow alert is in place from Saturday 18 August 2018 at 8pm to Sunday 19 August 2018 at 8am.High intensity rain alert issued as Storm Ernesto set to hit Ireland was last modified: August 21st, 2018 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)