Dabo Swinney Says Trevor Lawrence Has To ‘Earn’ Starting QB Job

first_img Dabo on Trevor Lawrence:* He’s not the starter until he earns it* Chase Brice has a great practice today * Random baseball analogy I didn’t quite understand.Welcome to spring football!— Hidden Agenda Lie Enactor (@ADavidHaleJoint) February 27, 2019Brice, of course, had a big hand in saving Clemson’s undefeated season last year.In his first start, Lawrence left Clemson’s game against Syracuse with an injury. Brice came in, acquitted himself well, and led the Tigers to a comeback home victory over an Orange team that finished with 10 wins, and beat Clemson in 2017.Superstar running back Travis Etienne was the gamebreaker in that one, but the Tigers likely don’t win if not for some big throws by Brice.Of course, none of that means that Lawrence is in danger of losing his job. This is definitely a motivational move by Swinney, more than anything. trevor lawrence celebrates during the national title gameSANTA CLARA, CA – JANUARY 07: Trevor Lawrence #16 of the Clemson Tigers celebrates his seventy-four yard touchdown throw during the third quarter against the Alabama Crimson Tide in the CFP National Championship presented by AT&T at Levi’s Stadium on January 7, 2019 in Santa Clara, California. (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)Trevor Lawrence ultimately won the starting quarterback job a few weeks into the 2018 season, overtaking incumbent starter Kelly Bryant. after the national title win, that was obviously the right call.Lawrence has all the makings of an all-timer at the position. As a true freshman, he took major steps forward, and he’d probably be the No. 1 pick if he was in the 2019 NFL Draft.Logically, we all know that Lawrence will be the starter as long as he’s on campus, barring an injury or other unforeseen circumstance. That doesn’t mean he’s just going to be handed the job though.Clemson spring football practice started today, and Dabo Swinney reportedly said that Trevor Lawrence has to “earn” the starting quarterback job.According to ESPN’s David Hale, Swinney lauded second-stringer Chase Brice for his practice today.last_img read more

UN rights chief urges more global attention to wanton violence in Yemen

“Perhaps because of the violence engulfing so many other countries – relatively little attention is being paid to the situation in Yemen,” said UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein. “The past few weeks have seen dozens of people killed in a succession of bomb attacks in Yemen. Such wanton acts of indiscriminate violence are utterly deplorable.”Despite the formation of a new Government on 7 November aimed at ending a period of political turbulence and bringing about a full transition towards democracy, Yemen continues to be plagued by violence.Several bomb attacks in the last three weeks have killed a total of 86 people, with the most recent, a car bomb detonated outside a police college in the capital, Sana’a, the most deadly, killing 37 people.“What does anyone gain by slaughtering civilians – especially children – in this way?” Zeid said. “I urge all parties in Yemen to renounce the use of violence to avoid further loss of innocent lives and take concrete steps towards the immediate and effective implementation of the peace and partnership agreement.” Mr. Zeid also urged Yemeni security forces to ensure they used proportionate force when responding to incidents, amid reports of security personnel causing civilian deaths including one incident in December where live ammunition was fired to break up demonstrations.“Notwithstanding the difficult situation they face, it is essential that Government security personnel halt the use of excessive force, resulting in civilian deaths,” Mr. Zeid said. “Violations of international human rights law by all sides must be promptly, independently and effectively investigated to bring perpetrators to justice and ensure that victims’ right to justice and remedy is upheld.” read more