Alex Morgan hinted the United States will snub Donald Trump’s White House invitation and is confident Jill Ellis’ team will not be split on the issue.It is customary for champions to visit the US president after winning a sporting title, with Morgan and her team-mates congratulated by Barack Obama when they won the Women’s World Cup in 2015.However, since Trump succeeded Obama following the 2016 election, teams like the NFL’s Philadelphia Eagles and NBA’s Golden State Warriors have had their White House offers withdrawn after numerous players from both teams declared they had no intention of making the trip for political reasons. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Morgan’s outspoken team-mate Megan Rapinoe has already she said is “not going to the f****** White House” and though Trump responded to that by inviting Ellis’ squad regardless of whether they beat Netherlands in Sunday’s final, it appears the offer will be rejected.”I think we’ll make that decision after we finish Sunday’s game,” USA captain Morgan said.”I think there’s been a lot of talk prematurely about the White House and about Trump.”First we have to do business and then I think you guys know the answer to the question anyway.”Put on our best for the president! #WNTatWH pic.twitter.com/JBP9InpFP7— Alex Morgan (@alexmorgan13) October 27, 2015The White House pulled the plug on the Eagles’ scheduled visit following their Super Bowl LII victory in 2018 because “the vast majority of the team” wished to stay away.Morgan believes there will be no factions in Ellis’ squad when it comes to their decision.”I can’t say 100 per cent but this team is very close and we’ve always made decisions together so I can’t really see us deciding to part in that way,” she added.”But at the same time, if someone feels strongly then who are we to tell them to do or not do something?”Trump took to Twitter last week to express his disapproval of Rapinoe’s comments, telling the striker to “WIN first before she TALKS!”Women’s soccer player, @mPinoe, just stated that she is “not going to the F…ing White House if we win.” Other than the NBA, which now refuses to call owners, owners (please explain that I just got Criminal Justice Reform passed, Black unemployment is at the lowest level…— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 26, 2019 ….invited Megan or the team, but I am now inviting the TEAM, win or lose. Megan should never disrespect our Country, the White House, or our Flag, especially since so much has been done for her & the team. Be proud of the Flag that you wear. The USA is doing GREAT!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 26, 2019Yet Rapinoe was unrepentant when speaking ahead of the semi-final victory over England, which she missed with a slight hamstring strain.”I don’t think that I would want to go [to the White House] and I would encourage my team-mates to think hard about lending that platform or having that co-opted by an administration that doesn’t feel the same way and doesn’t fight for the same things that we fight for,” said Rapinoe, who expects to be fit for the final.
A 38-year-old Woodstock man has died following a single-vehicle crash on Haldimand Road 3 in Nanticoke on Aug. 31.Police said Jesse Milner died from his injuries Sept. 10 in hospital.Police said the vehicle Milner was driving left the road and rolled into a pond, landing on its roof.His eight-year-son and five-year-old daughter, who were passengers in the vehicle, were not injured.A family member, following in a separate vehicle, as well as other motorists, stopped at the scene and were able to pull from the vehicle the two children and driver before first responders arrived.Police said their investigation continues. Anyone with information is asked to call 1-888-310-1122.
During his five-week trial, jurors heard how he had tested small improvised explosive devices in the lead up to his arrest.Describing the extent of Salah’s plotting Ms Whyte told the court: “The intention was to manufacture a device which would be placed in a vehicle but controlled remotely so that no-one had to martyr themselves in the process.”Farhad Salah had decided that improvised explosive devices could be made and used in a way here in the UK that spared his own life preferably but harmed others he considered to be infidels.”Salah, who wore a navy blue polo shirt and was flanked in the dock by three court officers and an interpreter, showed no emotion as his sentence was handed down.Six members of the jury that tried the plotter returned to court on Wednesday to watch his sentencing.Salah applied for asylum after arriving at Heathrow Airport from Iraq in December 2014.Additional reporting by Imogen Horton Black powder found at the Fatima Community Centre in Sheffield where Farhad Salah livedCredit:PA/Counter Terrorism Policing North A week before his arrest Salah messaged a Facebook contact to say: “My only attempt is to find a way to carry out martyrdom operation with cars without driver, everything is perfect only the programme is left …” Handing down his sentence, Judge Paul Watson QC said Salah had “become wedded to an extremist ideology and was preparing to take action to give effect to those views”.The judge said the risk of him causing death or serious injury by his planned use of explosives was obvious and that Salah’s viewing of “utterly depraved and sickening” extremist footage showed how committed he was.”Your attitude to extreme violence and loss of life, sometimes in unimaginably horrifying circumstances, indicates clearly to me that you, had you carried your preparations through to conclusion, would have had no hesitation in causing loss of life or the infliction of terrible suffering,” said Judge Watson.He added that his extremist actions were not a legitimate interpretation of Islam, telling Salah: “Islam is a religion of peace and inclusivity, so very far from the corrupt and perverted ideology around which you were operating.”What you were doing, purportedly in the name of a strict and reactionary construction of the Islamic faith was, in truth, a gross betrayal of that faith.”To all peaceful and tolerant Muslims, you and those like you, who take their religion as an excuse for violence and disruption, are an abhorrence.”Salah, who lived at a community centre in Sheffield, was described by counter-terrorism police as posing a “very real risk to the safety of the public in the UK”. An Islamic State sympathiser who plotted to use a remotely controlled car bomb to kill hundreds of people tried to bring forward his plans because he feared he was to be deported.Farhad Salah, an Iraqi-Kurd asylum seeker, was sentenced to 15 years in prison on Wednesday, for what the judge described as a plot to cause “terrible suffering” on innocent passersby.Sheffield Crown Court heard how the 24-year-old had been in the early stages of testing small improvised explosive devices to be placed inside a remotely controlled car in preparation for an attack when he was arrested in December 2017.The five week trial heard that at the time of his arrest he was getting “increasingly desperate” to do something for Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil), but had been unable to travel to the Middle East due to his unsettled immigration status.With his application for asylum in the UK still being determined, it is now thought that he turned his attention to carrying out an attack in Britain as quickly as he could.Prosecutor Anne Whyte QC said Salah was “getting increasingly desperate to do something in the cause of IS”. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings.