Ronaldo ends road scoring drought

first_imgROME (AP):Cristiano Ronaldo ended his away scoring drought with an impressive second-half goal as Real Madrid won 2-0 at Roma yesterday in the first leg of the Round of 16 in the Champions League.The victory also marked a successful debut for Zinedine Zidane as Madrid’s manager in the elite competition, with the 10-time champion taking a big step towards the quarter-finals.It was Ronaldo’s first goal on the road since November 29 when he scored a penalty against Eibar.”Everyone expects (Ronaldo) to score, and today, he was able to,” Zidane said. “I’m happy for these two away goals and that we didn’t concede any goals.”Shortly before the hour mark, Ronaldo collected a pass up the left flank from Marcelo, rapidly cut inside moving the ball with a deft flick of his legs and launched a powerful shot that deflected off Roma fullback Alessandro Florenzi.”He’s a player against whom you can’t concede anything. He can go right or left. It doesn’t matter which way,” Florenzi said. “I was also unlucky because I deflected the shot and the ball went in right under the crossbar.”After scoring, Ronaldo ran towards Zidane and hugged the French great, who replaced Rafa Benitez last month.Substitute Jese then sealed the victory with an angled shot four minutes from the end after Roma failed to take advantage of several opportunities for an equaliser.At the final whistle, Zidane congratulated each of his players one by one, including those who didn’t play.”I do it because the team is the most important thing,” said Zidane, who scored the winning goal for Madrid in the 2002 Champions League final against Bayer Leverkusen. “It’s the players who make the difference, and today it was Ronaldo – it’s often him – but everyone’s contribution is important, even those who don’t play much. We win all together.”The night’s other first-leg match saw Wolfsburg beat AA Ghent 3-2 in Belgium.last_img read more

Nitrogen Loss May Be the Theme of Crop Tour

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Ty Higgins, Ohio Ag NetAs the 2018 Ohio Crop Tour proved last week, this year’s corn and soybean crop may be a record breaker for the state. But, could it have been even better?“The thing that I noticed early in the growing season was that farmers didn’t stabilize their nitrogen,” said Brett Barton, Ohio’s Sales Manager for AgXplore. “We are seeing the effects of that as we wind down the growing season.”Because of a lack of heavy root setting in many corn fields in the spring, much of the nitrogen that was applied may not have made it to the plant before it left the soil profile. Barton says products like NZONE MAX or ContaiN to stabilize nitrogen and keep it accessible to the corn for a longer period of time.“Those products work by taking the nitrogen molecule and binding it to a soil colliod, which plays an important role in ion exchange and fertility,” Barton said. “We are not detrimental to the soil health and we do not kill bacteria and that makes us a different breed in the nitrogen stabilizer business.”Results in test plots show a 5 to 30 bushel advantage when using AgXplore’s line of products.“As I traveled the state throughout the growing season I have seen field after field begin to fire at an early stage of development,” Barton said. “Yes, this may be a very big crop this year, but you have to wonder if a little more investment in a nutrient plan could have made it even bigger.”last_img read more

In Ireland, a Plan to Weatherize One Million Buildings

first_imgReprinted with permission from Construct IrelandOne million residential, public and commercial buildings in Ireland will get energy upgrades by 2020 under the latest national retrofit strategy. A consultation was launched this morning on the plan, which will aim to deliver 8,000 GWh of energy savings between 2011 and 2020.The program also proposes to drastically overhaul the grants system to make it more appealing, giving consumers up-front discounts on the cost of energy-saving products and services rather than a retrospective grant.Of the total energy reduction target, half must be achieved by energy suppliers and the other half by energy service providers such as installers listed on the Home Energy Saving scheme, Warmer Homes scheme and Greener Homes scheme.Three quarters of all funding under the program will go to the domestic [residential] sector, with 40% of this directed towards fighting energy poverty.Half of all funding will be filtered through energy suppliers, while the other half will be available to energy service providers to offer discounts on their products and services. The Sustainable Energy Authority of Irleand (SEAI) will handle all applications for funding, and will establish an energy efficiency fund – set to include hundreds of millions of Euro in bank finance – to be utilised for energy upgrade investments.Reacting to the launch, SEAI CEO Prof J Owen Lewis told Construct Ireland: “There is a really big opportunity here for the construction industry, but it also presents some challenges. We would be hoping to see some fresh thinking about ways of scaling up to address the challenge, and putting really considerable emphasis into performance and delivery so that the public has the right to expect really high performance delivery. The scale of it is very exciting in the light of the capital review. In terms of addressing the climate change mitigation imperative, the construction industry can deliver best value – as study after study has shown.”The building energy rating sale will be “at the center of energy savings calculations” — all financial support will be contingent on measures achieving published energy savings.Energy minister Eamon Ryan has set an initial target of 2,000 GWh savings for 2013. Energy suppliers can enter into a voluntary agreement with SEAI that will commit them to achieving a specific energy reduction target. If a supplier doesn’t enter into such an agreement or fails to meet their target, the minister for energy may oblige it to achieve certain savings.Suppliers are expected to achieve energy reductions though a variety of means, including more efficient energy generation and undertaking home energy upgrades.A quarter of all funding will be focused on the public sector, and the program will aim to retrofit 1,000 public buildings by 2020.The new retrofit program will begin in January next year, and a consultation on the plan is currently open. A consultation document is available to download here. All current SEAI grant schemes will continue as normal until the new plan is finalized.last_img read more

Kashmir residents say they are being charged by telecos despite no service

first_imgKashmir has been facing communications blackout for the past 47 days with virtually no mobile phone and internet services, but many residents in the Valley say they have been sent bills by telecom companies for services that were not provided. The telecom companies have billed the subscribers for the period of communication blockade which began on August 5 when the Centre abrogated provisions of Article 370 and split Jammu and Kashmir into two union territories.“Mobile phone and internet services are not functional in Kashmir since August 5 but still I have been billed Rs 779 by Airtel. I fail to understand what are we being charged for,” Obaid Nabi, a resident of Safakadal, said. Mohammad Umar, who has a BSNL mobile connection, said his average monthly mobile bill used to be around Rs 380 but he was surprised to find an inflated bill for the shutdown period.“I have been billed Rs 470 for the last month. The surprising aspect is that the phone services are not working for the past one and a half months,” Mr. Umar said. Several subscribers said they were hoping that charges for the period of communication shutdown will be waived as it was done in the aftermath of 2016 agitation and 2014 floods in Kashmir. Bharti Airtel did not respond to an email query sent on the issue, while repeated calls and text messages to BSNL CEO went unanswered. Queries were also sent to Vodafone Idea and Reliance Jio, but no response was received. Residents also said private schools in the city and some other towns in the Valley are calling parents to the schools on the pretext of providing assignments and syllabus for their wards and asking them to pay the fees, including transport charges, for the months of August, September and October.“The kids have not gone to school since first week of August due to prevailing situation in Kashmir but the school authorities have asked me to deposit the fees for months of August, September and October,” Farooq Ahmad Dar, who has two children studying in a leading missionary school of the Valley, said.Mr. Dar and other parents like him said they were furious that the school authorities asked them to pay even the transportation charges for the three- month period.“I can understand that the school has to pay the salaries for their staff but why are they asking for transport charges when the buses have not been plying for more than a month now,” Mudasir Ahmad, another parent, said.last_img read more

Rajasthan, Manipur only states to have passed bills to check lynching: Lok Sabha informed

first_img On whether a number of states have enacted laws, making lynching a non-bailable offence and recommending life imprisonment for those involved in such violence, the minister said as per information available, two bills on the subject passed by state legislatures of Manipur and Rajasthan are reserved by the governor for consideration of the President have been received.“The bills so received are examined in consultation with the concerned central ministries,” he said.Mr. Rai said the government through audio-visual media has also generated public awareness to curb the menace of lynching. The government has also sensitised service providers to take steps to check the propagation of false news and rumours having potential to incite mob violence and lynching. In its order, the Supreme Court had said the state governments shall designate a senior police officer, not below the rank of Superintendent of Police, as nodal officer in each district. The state governments have to constitute a special task force so as to procure intelligence reports about the people who are likely to commit such crimes or who are involved in spreading hate speeches, provocative statements and fake news, it said. The apex court had also said the state governments shall identify districts, sub-divisions and villages where instances of lynching and mob violence have been reported in the recent past, say, in the last five years besides others. Parliament proceedings updates: Rajya Sabha begins discussion on amendment to Jallianwala Bagh National Memorial Act Only Rajasthan and Manipur have passed bills on action to be taken against those involved in lynching but the legislations are yet to get the President’s consent, the Lok Sabha was informed on Tuesday. Union minister of state for home Nityananda Rai said the Centre, following a Supreme Court directive, has issued two advisories to state governments to check incidents of lynching. “In pursuance to the Hon’ble Supreme Court’s judgment on July 17, 2018, two advisories — on July 23, 2018, and September 25, 2018, were issued to the state governments and union territories administrations for taking measures to curb incidents of mob lynching in the country,” he said replying to a written question.Also Readlast_img read more

Shuttler Sindhu breaks into top 20 in world rankings

first_imgPV Sindhu scaled a new height when she cracked the top-20 in world rankings with top class performance in her last two tournaments.Sindhu was placed 20th in the Badminton World Federation rankings released on Thursday, climbing four spots. The 17-year-old shuttler stunned London Olympics gold medallist Li Xuerui in the quarter-finals of the China Masters last week.She made it to the pre-quarterfinals of Japan Open Super Series, eventually going down to fourth seed Yeon Ju Bae of South Korea on Thursday after a gallant 52-minute fight. Sindhu lost 21-10, 12-21, 18-21 at the Tokyo Yoyogi Gymnasium.In men’s singles, Ajay Jayaram lost to Malaysian Wei Feng Chong 16-21, 16-21 in 35 minutes.Among other Indians, Saina Nehwal, who skipped the two tournaments, was steady at fourth place in the rankings after three Chinese — Wang Yihan, Li Xuerui and Xin Wang.Parupalli Kashyap was the top Indian male shuttler, though he lost one spot to be placed 20th.Jayaram, too, benefitted from the semi-final appearance in China Masters and jumped six places to 23rd.National champion Sourabh Verma went up by eight places to 31st while Gurusaidatt moved nine places up to be ranked 46th.On Thursday Sindhu gave a scare to world No. 11 Bae. Sindhu began on a promising note and opened up an 8-0 lead. She did not allow Bae to come back into the game and went 1-0 up.last_img read more

Rigging the ring! Dubious decisions irk Sarita Devi, Devendro Singh

first_imgSarita Devi and Devendro Singh succumbed to controversial decision in boxing eventsThe Indian boxing contingent was left heartbroken after dubious decisions against L Sarita Devi and Devendro Singh Laishram denied the progress of the two boxers in their respective events on Tuesday.Sarita Devi was left in tears after she was adjudged to have lost despite a dominating performance in the women’s lightweight semifinal against home favourite Jina Park while Devendro Singh also succumbed to an umpiring howler against South Korea’s Shin Jonghun in quarterfinal of the men’s light flyweight.The lightweight boxer, Sarita Devi, had matched Park blow for blow in the opening round and was markedly more aggressive and precise thereafter.Sarita, a former Asian champion, fell behind after a rather bizarre turn of events in which Park ended up being the judges’ choice despite barely managing to stay in the fight.Such was the Indian’s ferocity that Park resorted to holding to slow down the pace of the bout after being left with a bloodied nose.But Sarita’s precision and her brilliant ring craft failed to find favour with the judges in the third and fourth rounds which went to the home favourite, who was struggling to stand up to the onslaught of punches from the Manipuri.Sarita Devi being consoled by her husband after being knocked out of the boxing semifinalOn the other hand, Devendro Singh lost 0-3 against his Korean rival despite dominating the second and third round in the quarterfinal. The judges ruled the bout in favour of the Korean boxer in what looked like another games marred by dodgy decisions.advertisementMiffed by the decisions, the Indian boxing contingent lodged a protest after paying a non-refundable USD 500 fee. However, it ended up being for a lost cause as the International Boxing Association’s(AIBA) technical committee rules bar any complaints against judges and protests can only be filed against decision of the referees.Meanwhile, Sarita found support from India’s long-time Cuban coach BI Fernandes and fellow boxer MC Mary Kom, who advanced to the final.”It was pre-decided, the 3-0 verdict is a clear cut indication. The Korean deserved to have been given many standing counts, going by what happened in the ring, and the bout should have been stopped,” Fernandes said.”Sarita was a clear-cut winner but money has talked here and the judges deserve to be thrown out. It happened in Seoul during the 1988 Olympic Games, it’s happening now again.Nothing seems to have changed. The new rules have made no difference,” he fumed.Sarita’s incident, however, wasn’t the only case of the dubious boxing scoring. Moment’s after the Indian’s bout, a Mongolian boxer couldn’t believe that the judges ruled against his favour.The Mongolians were up for a fight and decided to withdraw their entire boxing team as a mark of protest. Unlike the Indian contingent, the Mongolian Chef de Mission, Contingent leader and everyone took the AIBA head on.Amateur boxing last year moved to a pro-style, 10-point scoring system, discarding the latest version of the much-criticized computer punch-count systems implemented after the Seoul Olympics in 1988.last_img read more

Bill Clinton Honored With HOPE Founding Civil Rights To Silver Rights Award

first_imgOn the heels of the 2015 HOPE Global Forum, Operation HOPE published the names of all those recognized by the financial dignity nonprofit during its annual meeting, January 15-17th.Operation HOPE Founder John Hope Bryant presents award to President Bill Clinton at the 2015 HOPE Global ForumChairman Awards are given to those who provide exceptional leadership and who best exemplify its mission for empowerment, or “silver rights,” to under-resourced communities.“Our success could not be possible without the leadership, compassion and support of our esteemed partners,” said John Hope Bryant Operation HOPE founder, chairman and CEO. “It is our honor to recognize these great individuals for their work and support to help us carry out our mission to empower the underserved.”During the course the Forum both Bill Clinton and Andrew Young were distinguished for their longtime service with the prestigious HOPE Founding Civil Rights to Silver Rights Award, which is only presented to those who have had a profound impact nationally or globally.
”Your leadership in economic public policy to uplift the poor spans from the New Market Tax Credits, significant increases in EITC, creation of the CDFI Fund, active support of financial literacy, to even the global recognition of micro-finance and micro-credit,” Bryant cain about Bill Clinton. “Your vision of corporate responsibility and call to action of the private sector has ignited a spirit of global community engagement. You continue to generate thoughtful solutions to both national and global challenges and inspire the world to strive for positive, impactful change.”
”In recognition of your life’s work and its positive effect on both basic human dignity, and global economic growth,” he added about Andrew Young. “From a Civil Rights leader working alongside Dr. King, to a political career as a U.S. Congressman, Ambassador to the United Nations and Mayor of Atlanta, chairing the Atlanta Olympic Games, to your more than 100 Honorary Doctorate Degrees, and your role in silver rights as the HOPE Global Spokesman, you have truly changed the course of history.”Source:PR Newswirelast_img read more