The Vermont Agency of Transportation today announced that two accelerated bridge replacement projects on Route 12A in the Town of Roxbury have been completed and the roadway is now open to all traffic. ‘These are the final two bridge closures resulting from Tropical Storm Irene,’ noted VTrans’ Secretary Brian Searles. ‘We are very close to reaching our Irene Response mission of opening all our damaged roads by the end of the year.’ The final closed road under construction, Route 107 in Stockbridge, remains on track for opening at the end of next week. Luck Brothers of Plattsburg, New York, was the contractor for the replacement of bridges 15 and 22 on Route 12A, both of which cross the third branch of the White River. The total closure on October 17, allowed the bridges to be completely replaced in just under 10 weeks. Unlike the temporary bridge replacements in other areas of Irene-affected roads, bridges 15 and 22 were permanent fixes to damaged bridges. ‘In responding to these bridge failures we were able to deploy innovative techniques and rapid bridge deployment to complete permanent bridge replacements in record time,’ noted Rich Tetreault, VTrans’ chief engineer. The agency also completed work this week on two culverts in the Refrigerator Flats area of Route 107. The 1.1 mile segment between its intersection with Route 100 in Stockbridge and the Post Office in Gaysville has reopened to local traffic only. Replacing the two culverts in Stockbridge is among the final tasks necessary before Route 107 can be reopened in its entirety. Irene struck on August 28, 2011 and severely damaged more than 500 miles of state highway, including some 200 state bridges. Today, only seven miles of Route 107 between Stockbridge and Bethel remain closed to public travel. Questions regarding storm-damaged roads and bridges related to Tropical Storm Irene can be answered by calling VTrans’ Irene Storm Center at 1-800-Vermont. People can also visit VTrans’ website at www.aot.state.vt.us(link is external) where they can follow the agency’s progress on both Facebook and Twitter. VTrans 12.21.2011
“I don’t have that killer (instinct) inside,” MacDonald said. “It takes a certain spirit to come in here and put a man through pain. I don’t know if I have that same drive to hurt people anymore.”Join DAZN to watch Bellator 222: United States | CanadaIt sounded as if was going to retire right there and then, when he added: “I have to get out of here and re-evaluate. We’ll see what happens.”That was in the wee hours of April 28. Since then, MacDonald claims he has gotten the clarity needed to continue fighting. The Canadian looks to defend his title against Neiman Gracie during the semifinal of the Welterweight Grand Prix in the main event of Bellator 222 at Madison Square Garden on Friday, live on DAZN. The winner advances to face Douglas Lima in the final for $1 million from rap mogul 50 Cent.So, what changed in roughly seven weeks that allowed MacDonald to continue his MMA career?“I just got clarity that I have a huge platform to reach a lot of people to speak about the Lord to give me comfort in knowing that what I’m doing is for a good purpose,” MacDonald told Sporting News during the media day for Bellator 222 at MSG. “My life has changed a lot in the last few years. Just everything changing in my life so much, just trying to get clarity on everything because life moves so fast. So, I took some time to think about it and get clarity on the situation.”“I think it’s important to address these things,” he continued, imploring others in any field of work to do the same. “It’s a huge thing. It’s how I support my family, it’s my career, it’s all I really know what to do in my life. But there has been a lot of changes, so just to re-evaluate things and put things in perspective.”Looking back on the post-fight interview from Bellator 220 in April, MacDonald believes his attempt to convey where he was in his life might have been overshadowed by his raw emotion in the moment.“Everything happening so fast in my life, so many changes, trying to adjust into what I’ve done for my whole life, which is fighting,” he said, “so I’m just trying to figure it all out and sometimes it doesn’t come out properly during a fight interview.”But he definitely appreciates the outpouring of support that he received on social media for his honest comments.“I think people appreciate an honest statement that comes from the heart,” he said. “I think people can relate to a real statement.”Those “people” include Neiman Gracie.“I respect that,” Gracie told SN of MacDonald’s comments. “I always tell people that fighting in the cage is no joke. If he doesn’t feel like doing it anymore, I respect it, but I think he still does.”MORE: Bellator 220: Start time, price, how to watchOf course, Gracie is going to test that feeling to make sure, already predicting a submission victory to become the new Bellator welterweight champion. MacDonald is confident his own ground game will prevent such an outcome.“I don’t think that’s going to happen,” MacDonald said. “I feel very confident with my jiu-jitsu and will try to keep the fight out of his strengths.”With a win over Gracie, MacDonald will face the man he defeated by decision to win the welterweight title — Douglas Lima. He thinks it will be a different scrap this time. NEW YORK — Rory MacDonald stood in the cage at Bellator 220 in April fresh off a disappointing majority draw against Jon Fitch — whom many projected would succumb to “The Red King” — looking very much like a man in search of answers.What the 29-year-old Bellator welterweight champion said next only amplified those feelings. “I think he’s more confident and he’s been working hard,” MacDonald said. “It’s a hard fight. Douglas brings it. I think he’s really hungry right now. I have to be on point and be at my best. It will be a hard fight, but I’ll be ready for it.”If MacDonald can make it a convincing victory over Gracie, he may also quell critics’ — and his own — lingering questions about continuing his MMA career.Either way, we know MacDonald is going to be honest about it.
22 Apr 2013 Moore the merrier after McEvoy triumph Bradley Moore is setting the pace on the Titleist/FootJoy England Golf Boys Order of Merit following his superb victory in the McEvoy Trophy at Copt Heath. The Derbyshire youngster carded a closing 73 for 287, three over par, to finish three strokes clear of his England under 18 squad colleague Ashton Turner and four clear of the rest of the field. In fact, it was a good tournament for the England under 18 squad members with five in the leading six at the popular Midland course. Moore, the England under 14 champion in 2011 and an under 16 international for the past two years, led virtually from start to finish. He shared top spot with Turner and another under 18 squad member Cameron Massey after an opening 69 while a 74 saw Moore caught on 143 by Joe Brooks of Brickendon Grange and Evesham’s Oliver Farrell, both of whom followed up opening 71s with 72. But when Brooks and Farrell fell back with third round 80s on the second day, Moore was joined at the top of the leaderboard by Marco Penge from Sussex, yet another under 18 squad player, following a best-of-the-event 67. Although several players attempted to catch Moore in the final round, none did and his closing 73 was good enough to earn the 15 year old his best result since that Reid Trophy success almost two years ago. Lincolnshire’s Turner, who began the round a shot behind Moore, returned 75 for 290, while Adam Chapman from Cumbria shot 68 to climb into third spot on 291 alongside English champion Harry Ellis with 70 and his Hampshire colleague Jack Singh Brar with 72. Leading final scores: 287 B Moore (Kedleston Park) 69 74 71 73 290 A Turner (Kenwick Park) 69 75 71 75 291 A Chapman (Windermere) 76 74 73 68, H Ellis (Meon Valley) 74 74 73 70, J Singh Brar (Brokenhurst Manor) 75 74 70 72 293 M Penge (Worthing) 74 73 67 79