Arnett plan to keep Waterhouse down

first_imgReigning Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) champions, Arnett Gardens FC, are planning to keep Waterhouse on the canvas when both teams meet in the secondpreliminary stage at Waterhouse Stadium tomorrow.Arnett are currently in third position on 32 points, while Waterhouse are at the bottom on 15 points after 18 games in the 12-team league.With a gap of 17 points, Arnett Gardens have no intention of giving Waterhouse a chance to crawl up from last position.As far as the man in charge of the ‘Junglists’ is concerned, it is simply a case of, ‘when a man is down, keep him down’.”We will try to keep them down as they are a dangerous team,” coach of Arnett Gardens, Jerome ‘Jerry’ Waite told The Gleaner at the RSPL weekly press conference at Red Stripe last Thursday.”In previous games, Waterhouse dominated Arnett. We beat them in the first round and we are looking forward to continue this on Sunday,” added Waite, who guided Arnett to three national titles.Arnett will be without hard-tackling midfielder Renae Lloyd, as well as Damari Deacon due to red cards issued in their encounter against Tivoli Gardens two weeks ago, but Waite remains confident that the team will leave Drewsland with a positive result.”Lloyd will be a loss, but if you notice this season started without Renae Lloyd, the other player (Jason Moore), who will fill the slot had been doing well before Lloyd returned to the team,” the veteran coach noted before sharing his anticipation of the game.”Yes, you always have to look forward to a clash of this magnitude, despite where the teams are in the standings. And, it is always a fierce rivalry. We will not underestimate Waterhouse, although they are having a bad season, so far,” Waite maintained.”In their last game, they scored four goals but gave up the same, so there are loopholes in their defensive system, which we aim to exploit. We (Arnett) have won three games in a row and are aiming at four straight,” he concluded.last_img read more

Bihar cane farmers in distress

first_imgThe sugar cane farmers of Bihar are distressed as the government has not yet announced the cane price for mill owners for the current season. The farmers are also agitated with the mill owners over non-payment of their dues.Speaking to The Hindu over phone, sugar cane farmers of West Champaran, the district where most of the sugar mills are located, said five mills in the district alone owe ₹231.98 crore to them. “Sugar cane payment dues for the current season of 2018-19 by the mills of Bagaha, Harinagar, Narkatiaganj, Majhaulia and Lauria have gone up to the tune of ₹231.98 crore. We are in deep distress but there is no one to address our problem,” rued Nandeshwar Pandey, a young farmer from Pathakauli village. Bihar has a total of 12 sugar mills.The farmers of West Champaran further said that they have supplied about 74.75 lakh quintals of sugar cane to these five sugar mills till December 8 this year, spending ₹57.93 crore in the process. “We expected to be paid after a fortnight of the supply as it is mandatory for the sugar mills under the Sugar cane Purchase and Supply Act to make the payment and any delay invites interest at the current bank rate,” said Pramod Singh, another farmer. “However, till date, not a single penny has been paid,” he added.Most of the farmers had taken loan from banks through Kisan Credit Card and now they say they are being chased by the certificate officers of the banks for repayment of the loan.Living in penury“The government at the Centre had announced that farmers’ income would double by 2022, but the sugar cane farmers in Bihar have stopped celebrating social and religious functions due to lack of funds. We are unable to pay even the tuition fees of our children… we are on the verge of starvation,” said Rajan Giri, a farmer. He added that the farmers are not being able to go for the kharif cultivation as “they don’t have money to buy seeds and fertilizers”. The sugar cane farmers of West Champaran had staged a massive protest before the district official in Bagaha on December 10, demanding immediate announcement of sugar cane price. Copies of the memorandum had also been sent to Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, Chief Secretary, Sugarcane Development Commissioner and the District Magistrate. “The State government is delaying fixing of State Advisory Price for sugarcane in connivance with the mill owners and we are forced to borrow money on higher interest rates from banks for our survival,” alleged sugarcane farmers Umesh Patel, Surendra Baitha, Daya Shankar Singh and Somesh Pandey.The sugar cane farmers of West Champaran particularly angry with State Sugar Cane Development Minister Khurshid alias Firoz Ahmad who represents Sikta Assembly constituency from the same district. “The government is serious on the issue and I have asked the principal secretary of the department to announce the sugarcane price soon. It will be announced in a day or two. The Chief Minister himself had a meeting with officials to address the issue,” the Minister told The Hindu. His assurance, however, has failed to pacify the farmers who burnt his effigy near the Bhimrao Ambedkar statue at Bagaha on December 15.The sugar mill owners, meanwhile, are blaming the State government for the farmers’ distress. “Negotiation between the State government and the mill owners for sugarcane price is going on and hopefully it will be fixed within a week. The sugar mills are not at fault as the responsibility to fix the price lies with the State government, ” said Y.S. Bhatnagar, general manager (personnel) of the sugar mills. The production of sugarcane has gone up this year and demand has come down, he added.last_img read more

Publico nails winner as Wangs-Letran shocks Che’Lu-San Sebastian

first_imgPBA IMAGESRey Publico nailed the game-winning basket as Wangs Basketball-Letran pulled the rug from under Che’Lu Bar and Grill-San Sebastian, 83-82, Monday in the 2018 PBA D-League Aspirants’ Cup at Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig.Publico recovered the looseball off of a Jeo Ambohot fumble then, hit the undergoal stab with 4.1 seconds left to win it for the Couriers, who remained undefeated at 2-0.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC LATEST STORIES Read Next Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa The Scores:WANGS BASKETBALL-LETRAN 83 — Quinto 21, Ambohot 14, Calvo 13, Publico 12, Mandreza 7, Muyang 6, Fajarito 3, Batiller 3, Balanza 2, Trinidad 2, Balagasay 0, Taladua 0.CHE’LU BAR AND GRILL-SAN SEBASTIAN 82 – Calisaan 21, Bulanadi 15, Jeruta 13, De Leon 12, Batino 11, David 5, Ilagan 5, Calma 0, Costelo 0, Faundo 0, Santos 0, Valdez 0.Quarters: 24-14, 41-41, 54-71, 83-82. Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:16Binibining Pilipinas winners, groups, celebrate World Smile Day with children01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City View comments John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. NCAA volleyball: CSB stays in semis hunt, ends Arellano’s unbeaten streak His basket capped a huge fightback by the Couriers, who climbed back from a 19-point hole, 73-54, with 9:47 remaining in the fourth quarter.“Actually, that was the designed play We wanted Jeo to get the lob pass, but their defense was ready. The ball was fumbled and the ball got to Rey,” said coach Jeff Napa of the go-ahead bucket which put his side upfront.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutBong Quinto uncorked 13 of his 21 points in the fourth quarter to spearhead the rally, while also grabbing 12 rebounds, four assists, and two steals.Ambohot also plucked a double-double with 14 markers, 10 boards, two dimes, and two blocks, while JP Calvo shot 3-of-5 from downtown to collect 13 points, four rebounds, and two assists. Publico scored six of his 12 markers in the payoff period. He also grabbed six boards in the victory.Wangs-Letran used a blistering 25-5 run to chip away the deficit and grab the 79-78 lead to set up the pulsating finish in the final two minutes.Despite the win, Napa doesn’t want the Couriers to be blinded by their current standing.“It doesn’t mean that we’re playing good. We’re just glad that some of the players kept on fighting. The heart of a Letranite was there. We never gave up,” he said.Michael Calisaan topped the Revellers (1-1) with 21 points and six rebounds in the loss.ADVERTISEMENT NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencerslast_img read more

US preparing to withdraw over 5000 troops from Afghanistan

first_imgWashington DC: The United States is preparing to withdraw more than 5,000 of its troops from Afghanistan as part of an initial peace deal with the Taliban that would include a ceasefire and renunciation of Al-Qaeda, a media report said Thursday. The White House did not immediately respond to the news report. Later, the authorities denied any such development, saying that the presence of the US forces was “conditions-based”. Quoting an unnamed US official, The Washington Post had reported Thursday that the Trump Administration was preparing to reduce its number of troops in Afghanistan from current 14,000 to 9,000 or 8,000. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USAccording to the daily, the initial agreement would require the Taliban to begin negotiating a larger peace deal directly with the Afghan government. Denying this, a Pentagon spokesman told The Washington Post that the Defence Department had not been ordered to withdraw forces from Afghanistan. A State Department spokesperson told PTI, “While the RS (resolute support) or the DoD (Department of Defence) can speak with more authority on this issue, we have not adjusted our troop levels in Afghanistan to reflect our discussions with either the Afghan government or the Taliban.” Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential polls”Adjustments over the years have been conditions-based. And any future reductions or withdrawal of forces will also be conditions-based,” the spokesperson added. CDR Rebecca Rebarich, DoD spokesperson, said, “The DoD has not been ordered to draw down. Our strategy in Afghanistan is conditions-based; our troops will remain in Afghanistan at appropriate levels so long as their presence is required to safeguard US interests. Such an agreement has been an effort of Special US Representative for Afghan Reconciliation Zalmay Khalilzad. Khalilzad, who left Kabul for Doha, said he had a “most productive visit to Afghanistan” since he took this job as a special representative. “The US and Afghanistan have agreed on next steps. And a negotiation team and technical support group are being finalised,”he had tweeted. In Doha, Khalilzad is scheduled to hold another round of talks with the Taliban. “I’m off to Doha, with a stop in Islamabad. In Doha, if the Taliban do their part, we will do ours, and conclude the agreement we have been working on,” he said.last_img read more