The University of the West Indies (UWI) continued their impressive run in the Red Stripe Premier League with a 1-0 win against ten-man Tivoli Gardens FC at Edward Seaga Stadium yesterday.Girvon Brown netted for UWI in the 82nd minute, three minutes before Tivoli Gardens were reduced to ten players, when Rodico Wellington was shown a red card by referee Kevin Morrison.Tivoli started the game with hard running and good passes but failed to get past goalkeeper Amal Knight, who made some wonderful saves.Knight gave away a penalty in the first half when he fouled Tivoli’s Javanie Mitchell inside the area. The goalkeeper would, however, redeem himself, diving to his right to block Junior Flemmings’ effort from the spot.INCISIVE SKILLUWI picked up the pace, and the introduction of Keammar Daley and Anthony Grant in the second half certainly lifted their play. Both players immediately got involved and were influential with some incisive passing and skill on the ball.In the closing moments, Brown found the winning goal to push his tally to eight goals so far for the season.UWI’s assistant coach, Andrew Peart, praised his team for the win that pushed them onto 30 points in the league.”It was not only the players that came off the bench, but the entire team performed very well today (yesterday),” Peart told The Gleaner.”We made some adjustments from the first time we played Tivoli. They try to kick the ball long from the back, so we put some pressure on them, and it worked,” he reasoned.Although UWI are picking up the points in their first season, Peart says the first aim is to be safe. He predicted that two more wins from 11 games to be played in the preliminary round would make the team stay up.”Well, our first objective is to stay in the league, and mathematically, when we are safe, we can re-adjust our ambition. The semi-finals is a possibility, but we are not looking at that right now. Maybe another two more wins and we are safe for the next season,” Peart added.DROP IN RANKSMeanwhile, Tivoli, who fired coach Christopher Bender following a 1-0 defeat to leaders Portmore United last Thursday, dropped to 11th position on 19 points in the 12-team league.”Well, unfortunately, we lost by a simple goal. We got our chances and did not make any use, and UWI got one chance and won the game. Congratulations to UWI,” manager of Tivoli Brian Rose said.”Right now we are in a very desperate situation, so we have to dust ourselves off and come back,” he said.Rose confirmed that Bender was asked to resign.”When a team is not getting the desired results, the first person you look at is the coach. He was asked to resign,” Rose informed.
In this file photo taken on September 09, 2014 shows part of the Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 at the crash site in the village of Hrabove (Grabovo), some 80km east of Donetsk. Photo : AFPMoscow on Thursday rejected an international investigation that found a Russian missile downed flight MH17 over Ukraine in 2014, saying no such weapon had ever crossed the Russian-Ukrainian border and blaming Kiev for the tragedy.”Not a single anti-aircraft missile system from the Russian Federation has ever crossed the Russia-Ukraine border,” the defence ministry said in a statement carried by local news agencies.The ministry accused Ukraine of being behind the disaster in which 298 people died, saying it had presented evidence that “showed the involvement of Ukrainian units using (Soviet-designed) BUK missiles”.Earlier in the day, a Netherlands-led joint investigation team said — for the first time — that the missile which brought down the plane over eastern Ukraine came from a Russian military brigade.The group “has come to the conclusion that the BUK-TELAR that shot down MH17 came from 53rd Anti-aircraft Missile Brigade based in Kursk in Russia,” top Dutch investigator Wilbert Paulissen said.He told reporters gathered for a press conference that “the 53rd Brigade forms part of the Russian armed forces.”The Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 was blown out of the sky over conflict-torn eastern Ukraine on July 17, 2014 while en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.Ukraine and its Western allies have long accused Russia of funnelling troops and arms across the border to fan the flames of the conflict.Moscow has denied the allegations despite overwhelming evidence that it has been involved in the fighting and its explicit political support for the rebels.Investigators had previously concluded that the plane was hit by a Russian-made BUK missile system brought in from Russia and fired from territory in Ukraine held by Moscow-backed rebels. But they had stopped short of directly saying who pulled the trigger.Now the team has painstakingly recreated the route taken by the missile convoy from Kursk towards the border into Ukraine using videos and photos.
Share Photo via Twitter of Houston Police @houstonpolice Police said Thursday that 28-year-old Eddie Roy Olvera has been charged with murder.The Houston Police Department is searching for a man suspected in the death of a 33-year-old woman who was intentionally run over by a vehicle.Police said Thursday that 28-year-old Eddie Roy Olvera has been charged with murder in the death of the woman on Tuesday evening.Authorities said Olvera, who was driving a pickup truck, was following a vehicle driven by the victim. An ex-girlfriend of Olvera’s was inside the victim’s vehicle.Police said the victim got out of her vehicle and began arguing with Olvera. Police said he then struck her with his pickup and fled the scene.The woman was taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead. Her identification is pending verification by the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences.North officers are at a homicide scene 10500 W, Hardy. Adult female was transported to the hospital where she died. Initial information is victim was intentionally struck by a vehicle driven by a known suspect. 202 pic.twitter.com/qHb677gZF7— Houston Police (@houstonpolice) July 4, 2018
UK local TV operation London Live will stop making and buying entertainment series, and instead focus on news and current affairs programming.Programming execs such as head of programming and commissioning Jonathan Boseley and commissioning executive Derren Lawford – formerly BBC Worldwide’s head of programming and scheduling for the Global iPlayer – will be affected by the decision.They will be “reapportioned” to the London Live’s news and current affairs team, which is planning to create new positions in coming months.London Live, which is part of former culture secretary Jeremy Hunt’s local TV initiative, said a decision to boost news programming would have a “knock-on reduction” to original entertainment commissions and acquired programmes. This would align it closer with sister newspaper the London Evening Standard, itadded.This comes after ESTV, which provides London Live programming, called for media regulator Ofcom to reduce to number of local content the channel must air during peak hours.London Live’s original commissions include Food Junkies, F2 and Drag Queens of London, though the channel has struggled with small viewing figures since launch in March.“I am extraordinarily proud of what Jonathan Boseley and his team have achieved, in record time, and delivered on previously unheard-of tariffs, but I am also excited to take the station in a new editorial direction this autumn that will capitalise on ESI Media’s unique attributes to take the channel from strength to strength into its next season and beyond,” said London Live COO Tim Kirkman.The news is latest blow to Britain’s local TV initiative, coming just eight days after Birmingham’s City TV became the first to collapse and call in administrators.