Readers Digest Gets ExBlueprint Exec

first_imgReader’s Digest has appointed Tom Prince, who conceived and oversaw Martha Stewart’s failed Blueprint magazine, as its executive editor. Prince had been Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia’s vice President and development editor.Prince’s hiring is the first for editor Peggy Northrop, who jumped ship from More to RDA last fall.Prior to MSLO, Prince was an executive editor at Real Simple from 2001 to 2004 after spending seven years at Allure. Prince also spent 10 years at New York Magazine, where he became deputy editor in 1994.last_img read more

Budget Request Will Boost Defense Cut Domestic Programs

first_img ADC AUTHOR When President Trump’s fiscal year 2020 budget request hits Capitol Hill Monday, it will include a boost in defense spending and across-the-board cuts of about 5 percent to domestic spending, according to National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow.“It’ll be a tough budget,” he said on Fox News Sunday.The President is expected to request $750 billion in national security spending, almost all of that to DOD.That is more than is allowed under mandatory budget caps. To reach that number, the administration will ask for an increase in the overseas contingency operations (OCO) account, which is exempt from caps.That approach is already getting pushback on the Hill.“No one seriously thinks that Congress would pass a defense bill with $174 billion of OCO,” Rep. Mac Thornberry (R-Texas), the top Republican on the House Armed Services Committee, said, according to Politico. “So, OK, you just kind of set that aside, and you get down to the serious discussions of what we can do to keep our readiness from sliding backwards, what we do to keep pressure on the terrorists, to deal with the Russia-China threat. That’s what the conversation will be.”Lawmakers are working on a deal that would raise or eliminate the spending caps, similar to deals they’ve reached in the past.Photo by Fox Newslast_img read more

Amazon Echo Dot deal 3 for 70

first_imgEnlarge Image Ry Crist/CNET Both Amazon and Best Buy have the Echo Dot (third generation) on sale for $40 or $10 off its list price of $50. But if you add three Echo Dots — any color — to your cart and proceed to checkout, the price goes down to $23.33 per Dot for a total of $69.96, not including tax. For Cyber Monday last year Amazon had single Echo Dots for $24 each, so this is essentially the same deal. On Amazon, just remember to proceed to checkout to see the discounted price. You can read CNET’s full review of the Echo Dot here.Note that CNET may get a share of revenue from the sale of the products featured on this page.See it at AmazonSee it at Best BuyBe sure to add three Dots to your cart to see the discount, on both sites. Best Buy See It Adorama Share your voice $29 Crutchfield 17 Photos Review • Amazon Echo Dot 3 review: Alexa’s best Dot yet plays defense Transform your Amazon Echo Dot with two new dock accessories Mentioned Above Amazon Echo Dot (third-generation, Charcoal) See it 1:54 $29 CNET may get a commission from retail offers. $49center_img Amazon Echo Dot See It $49 See It The new Amazon Echo Dot: Does it sound better than before? Best laptops for college students: We’ve got an affordable laptop for every student. Best live TV streaming services: Ditch your cable company but keep the live channels and DVR. Tags News • Amazon launches new Alexa device for kids but privacy issues will still scare some parents Smart Home Preview • Amazon’s third Echo Dot takes a few cues from the Google Home Mini Now playing: Watch this: 0 Post a comment Amazonlast_img read more

Japanese bank to fund Turga pumped storage project in Purulia

first_imgKolkata: The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) has agreed to provide a loan of Rs 5,000 crore for constructing 1,000 megawatt (MW) Turga pumped storage project at Purulia carried out by the state Power department.An official statement issued by the West Bengal State Electricity Distribution Company Limited (WBSEDCL) says that the state-of-the-art project has been planned to be implemented with assistance from the Japanese bank. The state cabinet has already approved the project cost of Rs 6,922 crore. The JICA will provide a loan to the tune of Rs 5,000 crore. An agreement has been made between the state government and the JICA on 2 November, 2018. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeThe JICA that had been roped in by the government would partially finance the 1000 MW Turga project in Ayodhya hills of Purulia district. Four Reversible Pump Turbine units of 250 MW capacity each would be set up. This is the second pumped storage project in Bengal. It may be mentioned that the state government had sought grant from clean energy cess from the Centre but no steps have been taken in this regard so far. It may also said that state power minister Sobhandeb Chattopadhyay earlier mentioned about the requirement of around a land of 5,000-acre for the project. The state government had approached the Centre to remove the cap of 25 MW for Clean Energy Fund. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedMeanwhile, it can be stated that the Power department had taken up various projects to increase the power generation of Bengal. Many EHV sub-stations have been added to the existing system. The government has brought about a huge improvement in generating non-conventional power including solar power. It is the Bengal government that has declared a new solar policy where solar panels are being installed on the roof tops of various government buildings, school and colleges. The state Power department has been providing roof top solar power generation units.last_img read more

Central Forces start moving towards North Bengal from Jangalmahal

first_imgKolkata: Central Forces deployed at Jangalmahal in Bengal started their movement towards North Bengal on Thursday for the first phase of elections scheduled in Cooch Behar and Alipurduar on April 11, after the state government agreed to release 29 companies of Central Forces presently deployed there.The final deployment plan was settled after the CEO of Bengal Ariz Aftab held a detailed meeting with ADG (Law and Order) Siddh Nath Gupta, ADG (Armed Force) Ranvir Kumar and IG (BSF) Y B Kurania at the CEO’s office on Thursday evening. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: Mamata”We are trying to deploy Central Forces in all the sensitive booths, while the non-critical booths will be managed by forces of the state,” a senior official of the CEO’s office said. The forces that are expected to reach North Bengal by Friday, will add to the seven companies of BSF already posted in the two North Bengal districts, taking the total count of Central Forces to 37. The official did not rule out the possibility of additional forces and said that talks are on with the Election Commission of India for sanctioning another 30 to 35 companies. “There has been no order yet but we are expecting it by Friday,” the official said. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateMeanwhile, the state police will deploy 9,000 state armed force personnel for managing the 3,844 polling stations of the two districts. It has been learnt that the state agreed to release the existing 29 companies of Central Forces from Jangalmahal after the Election Commission assured that the forces will be commissioned for the purpose of election only. There is always the fear that release of forces from Jangalmahal may lead to breakdown of law and order in the area, which was a hotbed for Maoists during the previous government’s (Left Front) rule. Sources in the commission said that out of the 29 companies of Central Forces, 11 companies are being sent to Alipurduar while 18 companies are being sent to Cooch Behar. “The law and order situation is under control and we would like to assure all the voters that there will be adequate forces both in the booths and on the road. We are sure about conducting a peaceful election,” said Additional Chief Electoral Officer Sanjoy Basu. The entire force management will be in the hands of the Police Observer and the Special Central Observer Vivek Dubey, who has already held a series of meetings with the top officials of the state. “As per order from the Election Commission, we have already arranged vehicles for the forces which will carry them to North Bengal. They have already started to move and by Friday morning we will be able to release all the forces,” a senior police officer of Purulia said.last_img read more